SB20 Grand Slam at AAMCW Event Information
This document is created to give you a step by step guide to the SB20 Grand Slam at Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week (AAMCW). Please follow the instructions here and use the advice to plan your entry. If this document doesn’t answer your question, please contact:
Alan Hillman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Jackson: email@example.com
Online Entry for AAMCW
Every boat wishing to take part in the SB20 Grand Slam must enter using the AAMCW website. Here you can enter for the SB20 Grand Slam and add any extra days of AAMCW that you wish to compete in. The SB20 Grand Slam takes place on Saturday 3rd – Tuesday 6th August. Cowes Week continues until Saturday 10th August.
SB20 Grand Slam Saturday 3rd – Tuesday 6th August
- Early Bird Entry £175 entries received before midnight 27 May
- Standard Entry: £225 entries received after midnight 27 May but before midnight 28 July
- Late Entry: £270 entries received after midnight 28 July
SB20 Grand Slam Booking Form
As well as entering the SB20 Grand Slam via AAMCW’s website, we also request that you complete and return the SB20 Grand Slam Booking Form and £200 fee. No entry to the SB20 Grand Slam is complete without the Booking Forma also being completed.
The £200 SB20 Grand Slam booking fee includes:
- 4 nights berthing at UKSA:(Friday 2nd – Monday 5th August inclusive or Saturday 3rd – Tuesday 6th August inclusive)
- Sportsboat World BBQ Party for each member of your sailing crew at UKSA on Saturday 3rd August
- Skipper ticket to Royal Yacht Squadron Cocktail Party on Monday 5th August**
- SB20 Grand Slam T-Shirts for each member of your crew
- Beer on the dock after racing each day of the Grand Slam
**additional tickets available at £20 per person.
SB20 Grand Slam T-Shirts
SB20 Grand Slam T-Shirts will be provided for your crew members (up to 4 shirts). Please state the size of the t-shirts that you require for each crew member. If you do not request t-shirt sizes at the time of entry, we apologise that we are unable to guarantee that the correct size shirt will be available at registration.
Notice of Regatta
The SB20 Grand Slam is included in the AAMCW Notice of Regatta.
Please download the NoR here or visit www.cowesweek.co.uk
NoR 9.3.4(b)) states: SB20 and J/70 classes will each have two series: one for racing from Saturday 3 to Tuesday 6 August and another for all races from Saturday 3 to Saturday 10 August.
Scoring and Discards
SB20 Grand Slam: The SB20 Grand Slam has 8 scheduled races. 2 discards will apply if all 8 races are sailed, 1 discard if 6 or 7 races are sailed and 0 discards if 5 or less races are sailed.
Cowes Week: All races will be allowed to count towards your Cowes Week overall result. For the Grand Slam Day s (Saturday 3rd – Tuesday 6th August) average points for each of these days (ie. the sum of the morning and the afternoon race points will be divide by 2) leaving 8 scores for the full week. 2 discards will apply if all 8 races are sailed, 1 discard if 6 or 7 races are sailed and 0 discards if 5 or less races are sailed.
The Sailing Instructions for the SB20 Grand Slam will be amalgamated into the standard AAMCW Sailing Instructions. Sailing Instructions will be available on http://www.cowesweek.co.uk at the beginning of July. Printed copies will be available at registration.
SB20 Class Rules
Competitors special attention is drawn to class rules C.1.2(c) and C.3.1.
Accommodation during Cowes Week is always expensive and securing a booking for anything other than the full week is highly unlikely. We have therefore secured a fantastic rate for accommodation at UKSA in Cowes and the flexibility of just the 4 (or 5) nights of the SB20 Grand Slam.
Accommodation will be available on a first come first served basis, so we encourage you to book your accommodation as a priority. There are several twin and single rooms available, as well as bunk rooms which sleep up to 8 people.
To make a booking, email firstname.lastname@example.org marking it for the attention of: Michelle Taylor. Michelle will be the primary contact for all accommodation bookings.
The accommodation rates per person per night including breakfast are:
- Bunk Room £40.50
- Lister Room Twin £52.50
- Lister Room Single £58.50
Berthing at UKSA is included in the SB20 Grand Slam Entry Fee. If you wish to berth at UKSA for the full 8 days of Cowes the SB20 Grand Slam fee will be £320 per boat.
It wouldn’t be a SB20 event if there wasn’t a great social programme lined up!
Friday 2nd August: Registration Day
12noon – 6pm Registration & Crew Weighing UKSA
6.30pm How to win Cowes Week – what you need to know & Weather Briefing UKSA
7.30pm onwards Drinks in the bar
Dinner in the restaurant UKSA
Saturday 3rd August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 1
7.30am – 9am Registration & Crew Weighing UKSA
Race 1 RYS Line
Race 2 Committee Boat
After racing Beers on the Dock UKSA
From 6.30pm Sportsboat World BBQ Party UKSA
Sunday 4th August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 2
Race 3 RYS Line
Race 4 Committee Boat
After racing Beers on the Dock UKSA
Evening SB20 Class Cocktail Party: Dress: Jacket & Tie
Additional tickets are available and must be booked at the point of entry. RYA
Monday 5th August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 3
Race 5 RYS Line
Race 6 Committee Boat
After Racing Beers on the Dock UKSA
7.30pm Enjoy Cowes Week! RYS
Tuesday 6th August: SB20 Grand Slam Race Day 4
Race 7 RYS Line
Race 8 Committee Boat
After Racing Beers on the Dock
SB20 Grand Slam Prize Giving UKSA
Wednesday 7th – Saturday 10th August: AAM Cowes Week continues in the normal format or 1 race per day.
Visitors have two boat launching options, one in Hamble on the mainland and one in Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
Hamble Point Marina, Hamble
- Slipway charge is £31.60. A 10% discount is available trailer storage for the event period is free.
- Cranage charge is £136.75 per hour.
- Trailer storage and car parking are available on site
- To book, please contact: Suezanne Tyrwhitt-Williams email@example.com
- Launching via slipway only
- Trailer storage and car parking available on site
- To book, please contact: Chris Frisby: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ferries to Isle of Wight
If you wish to take a car to Cowes or with to take your SB20 on it’s trailer to Cowes, there are two suggested Ferry Routes:
Southampton – East Cowes
- Operated by Red Funnel Ferries
- To book, visit their website: http://www.redfunnel.co.uk
Portsmouth – Ryde
- Operated by Wight Link Ferries
- To book, visit their website: http://www.wightlink.co.uk
SB20 Grand Slam Booking Fee Payment Options
There are two payment options for the SB20 Grand Slam:
- Made payable to: Laser SB3 Class Association
- Mailed to: Katie Jackson, 36 Old Priory Close, Hamble, Hampshire, SO31 4QP, UK
- Account Name: Laser SB3 Class Association
- Account Nunber: 03171935
- Sort Code: 30 00 09
- BIC: LOYDGB21013
- IBAN: GB18 LOYD 3000 0903 1719 35
- Payment Reference: GS(Sail Number)(Surname) example: GS3700BLOGGS
- NOTE: If you do not use the correct payment reference, there is no way of tracking your payment. If you choose to pay using direct transfer, you are responsible for covering any associated costs.